Garbage collection crews are “making a dent” in the mounds of household items ruined by the Aug. 29 floods.

They’ve collected 4,000 tons, more than double the 1,600 tons collected in total following last year’s flood. But there’s still much work to do and people need to be patient, the City of Windsor said in a Thursday news release.

The most visible progress is in wards 1, 6 and 10, the areas where the flood damage was worst and where streets full of garbage piles allowed crews to make full passes through neighbourhoods.

Unfortunately, no timeline for complete cleanup can be reasonably estimated, but all extra resources are focused on the problem, and crews are working as quickly as possible,” the news release says. So far, the city’s 311 call centre has taken 6,201 reports of flooded basements.

It adds that the public drop-off depot on Central Avenue will be returning to its normal operation and hours on Monday — running Monday to Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Garbage from flooded homes starts to build up at the former GM plant between Kildare Road and Walker Road on Sept. 10, 2017.